We're designing the collective to provide us with:
- Peers we respect, deeply. We select our membership carefully, recruiting only those we'd ask to join our own side projects (startups, or similarly ambitious pursuits).1 We prefer clients that help us work with each other to those that ask members to fill individual gaps in their teams.
- Steady, impactful client work. Over time, as members market the Collective with their work, we expect to see "scale returns" to each individual member's efforts: our project pipeline will grow. And we're recruiting a deeper bench of talent to attract larger, more influential projects than we ever could working alone, apart.
- Predictable hours. With a growing membership we can distribute the "feast or famine" of client work, smoothing out each member's schedule to ensure they work optimal hours: no more, no less.
- "Mission support" for a bittersweet exit. Our members will use their stabilized free time and peers' support to execute their mission relentlessly, eventually reach "escape velocity" and leave us to pursue it full-time, at the next level. A successful membership here is brief.
We secure the above with collective action: by pooling our skills, our time, our networks and our information. Every member contributes. If you join us, you'll be asked to:
- Share your availability. Staffing new projects is tough when you share your plans ad-hoc (over coffee, drinks, the odd email, etc.) Instead, we use a schedule sharing tool2 that all members keep current with their time commitments.
- Publish what you learn. Publishing doesn't come naturally to everyone, so we lean heavily on each other to write and speak about our work. Moreover, we encourage members to "cross post" here to help build up our group's knowledge base and reputation.
- Rebrand. You're no longer "freelancing" or "independent." Instead, you "work with the Singular Collective." You're part of something bigger. Let everyone know it!
If all this speaks to you, say hello! We're eager to discuss your ambitions, skills and availability.